Whether you’re a professional woodworker or hobbyist, a planer is an important piece of equipment. It’s no secret that a poor-quality planer can lead to poor results. This Wen 6550 Planer Review will give an in-depth look at one of the most popular planer on the market today. Is this the correct bench top planer for your workshop? Let’s find out.
- Weight: 79 pounds
- Power Source: Corded Electric
- Product Dimensions: 23.5” x 24” x 19”
- Motor: 15-amp motor
- No load RPM: 8500
- Cuts per minute (CPM): 17,000
- Maximum stock width: 12.5”
- Maximum stock thickness: 6”
- Feed rate in feet per minute (FPM): 26
- Blade: 2 blade design
- Material: granite table
- Drive system: Poly-v belt drive system
- Volt: 110V
- Warranty: 2 years
- Two-year warranty
- Dust port with a fan
- Feed application option
- Depth plane adjustment
- Height adjustment knob
- Durable Cast-iron frame
- Dust hose connection port
- Tri-roller system
- Rubber adjustment handles
- Adjustable infeed/outfeed tables
- Not very quiet
- Collector sometimes can’t handle larger particles
- Blades may require a change
- Stand not included
- The height adjustment knob is made from plastic
- Requires bolting to a stable surface
Who is the 6550 Planer for?
The WEN 6550 Planer is perfect for the task of smoothing and reducing the thickness of wood.
Wen 6550 Planer Features:
Portability – Usually, table planners are not built with portability in mind. However, the WEN 6550 is fitted with side handles and a collapsible table, making it relatively easy to move from job to job. The collapsible feature of the tabletop also allows users to tuck the
Build – With a cast iron base and a granite table, this 70lb+ planer has a sturdy construction that doesn’t budge while you work.
Infeed/outfeed – The WEN 6550 planer comes with adjustable infeed/outfeed tables to allow for use with longer work pieces.
Depth plane adjustment – This feature allows you to easily change the amount that is removed from every board up to 3/32 inch.
Precision – One of the most important factors of any woodwork tool is precision it provides. The WEN 6550 planer makes it easy to achieve precise work in a number of ways. The planer has a rubber-coated adjustment handle that allows you to alter the planer’s height with accuracy. In fact, each full rotation of the comfort grip handle adjusts the height by 1/16th of an inch.
Dust collection – Thanks to a dust hose connection port, users can keep their workstation tidy. This increases safety and reduces stress. Simply attach a dry vac to the fan assisted port.
Snipe-resistant – Snipe can create portions of work pieces that are unusable. Fortunately, the WEN 6550 planer features a tri-roller feeding system to reduce the possibility of snipe from occurring.
Warranty – When spending your hard-earned money, you want some confidence that you won’t lose out should your welder go wrong. Fortunately, Wen offers a two year warranty.
In conclusion, the WEN 6550 planer can be summed-up as an affordable, durable, and powerful tool. The planer isn’t perfect, but the benefits far outweigh the minor negative traits.
- Granite table provides a sturdy non-marring surface for wood to smoothly travel over
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 12.5 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 17,000 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
- Adjust depth to plane off anywhere from 0 to 3/32 of an inch with each pass
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from workpiece
Last update on 2020-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API