If you’re looking to buy the best portable table saw, you might want to do a fair bit of research before you make your decision. There are a lot of things you want to take into consideration, and it doesn’t hurt to know the best portable table saw models available on the market today.
In this article, we’ve reviewed five of the best portable job site table saws you can buy and also provided an extensive buying guide to help you with your purchase.
Now, without further ado, let us start with the list of the five best portable table saws.
In a hurry? Here’s our top pick!
The Best Portable Table Saw – Our Picks
- Features a 15.0A high torque Motor with the Power to cut pressure Treated lumber and hardwoods
- This product is manufactured in Mexico; Tool Weight: 90 pounds
- This product meets customer requirement
- No Load Speed:4800 rpm
This is easily one of the best portable table saws money can get you, and it’s no surprise. DEWALT is a power tool brand that’s known for high-quality products, and this one is no exception. This beauty can cut through anything like a hot knife through butter, and with extreme precision as well. It’s also kitted out with a lot of great features that make for even better performance.
Even though it might seem heavy, weighing around 100 pounds, it comes with a built-in stand that is designed to circumvent this issue and make moving this table saw much easier. We were surprised by how well this worked out.
With that said, this is by no means a perfect product. For instance, the miter gauge can be a bit misleading. However, this isn’t a deal breaker for portable table saws as portability often comes at the price of accuracy and stability.
What we like about it
The DEWALT DWE7491RS is the best portable table saw for multiple reasons. It’s a model that delivers smooth, accurate cuts at a fast rate, all while being relatively inexpensive, which means that it’s bound to give you the bang for your buck.
- PORTABLE: Innovative, gravity rise, collapsible table saw stand allows you to adjust height to meet your specific needs while the 8 inch treaded pneumatic wheels provide mobility from jobsite to jobsite
- EFFICIENT: Featuring SquareLock rip fence engineered to increase cutting trueness and allowing for one handed operation as you glide along the rail as well as riving knife and anti kickback pawls for protection when a kickback occurs
- PRECISION: Bosch 4100 09 worksite table saw provides high precision cutting as well as efficient power with 3,650 no load RPM motor
- CAPACITY: Bosch 4100 09 10 inch table saw features a larger cutting table surface area and ripping capacity handling stock up to 25 inches wide
- DEPENDABLE: Designed for durability and longevity. Feel confident in your purchase which is backed by Bosch’s 1 year warranty, with a 30 day money back guarantee
If we were to pick any other product as the best portable saw other than DEWALT’s DWE7491RS, it would definitely be the Bosch 4100-09. It was a very close competition between both of these models when we were working on the best portable table saw reviews.
What the Bosch excelled at was precision. It’s unrivaled among other portable saws. This precision also extends to the miter gauge which wasn’t reliable in the DEWALT DWE7491RS. Both of these things make it a very serious contender to our top pick. But, there is one major area where this saw fails.
That area is portability. This is a very difficult saw to move around, which is a big deal seeing how it’s supposed to be a “portable table saw.” While it’s not impossible to move it around, it is much more tiresome than DEWALT’s model, which is why it lost against it.
What we like about it
This is an excellent portable saw. Out of all, the portable table saw reviews, it’s the best portable table saw in terms of accuracy. The fact that it’s also easy to use, and has great value makes it an option worth considering.
- 20-Inch x 26-Inch cast aluminum table extends to 20-Inch x 32-Inch for longer work pieces
- 3-1/2-Inch cut height capacity for cutting through 4x materials
- Heavy-duty steel stand for fast setup and easy transport. Bevel Angle Range:0° to 47°
- Self-Aligning Rip Fence for accurate measurements
- EZ view measurement system for accurate settings.Cord Length:6 feet
The best jobsite portable table saws tend to be a bit expensive. However, you don’t have to dish out a lot of money to get something decent and reliable. The SKIL 3410-02 took us by surprise with its high quality and power for the asking price. If you’re going to be doing basic work, then this is definitely a great saw for that. It’s very safe to use; it’s also lightweight. What else could you ask for in the best portable table saw, right?
With that said, there are a couple of issues with this model. The biggest offender here is the stand that has no wheels. Even if the saw only weighs 67 pounds, if the stand has no wheels, you’ll be losing out on a lot of portability.
The low price of the saw shows in several aspects of the SKIL 3410-02. For starters, it delivers lackluster miter cuts and is not built to withstand daily use. What’s the most aggravating thing about it is the lack of wheels on the stand, which seems like a missed opportunity since it’s so lightweight.
All in all, this saw is best used sparingly and for basic tasks, which shouldn’t come as a surprise since it has a low price.
What we like about it
When it comes to pure value and the bang for your buck, this is the best portable table saw. It’s a very light saw at a meager price. If you’re trying to save on money but still need the best portable table saw within your budget, this might be the right model for you.
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Direct drive universal 15 Amp motor produces 4,500 RPM to power through the toughest ripping applications
- Soft start function reduces noise and recoil at start up
- Electric brake halts the rotation of the blade within seconds for added safety
- 10 inches 40 Tooth carbide tipped blade included for high cutting capacity
Hitachi’s C10RJ is your run-of-the-mill portable table saw. It’s capable of handling any basic task and then some. It’s also quite compact and affordable.
With that said, this is an overall unremarkable table saw. It doesn’t have any unique features and didn’t surprise us in any way. It’s pretty much a jack of all trade but a master of none. This is what made it lag behind the best portable table saws.
There’s also the issue of being a bit tricky to use. You’ll need some time to get the hang of it. All in all, there’s nothing special about this table saw. Just like any other saw, it has some issues, but unfortunately no special features to make up for these problems.
What we like about it
What’s good about this table saw is that it’s affordable and quite portable. But that’s as good as it gets.
- Heavy duty 15 Amp motor with soft-start
- European style riving knife and anti kickback pawls meet UL standards, prevent kickback
- Easy folding wheeled stand for convenient storage, quick set up and portability
- Riving knife with anti kickback pawls for safety. Unique base design allows for adequate tool storage on the job site
- Weighing in at just under 100 Pound
This is so far from being the best portable table saw it’s not even funny. The only thing that it excels at is how easy it is to set up and take down. Other than that, it fails miserably.
Where to even start with this saw? First off, the word ‘portable’ is not an accurate description of this saw as it’s quite heavy and difficult to move around. It’s already very unstable and unreliable.
We’ll spare you the details and cut right to the chase with this one. Avoid it. It’s not worth your money.
Why we’re including it in our portable table saw reviews, you might ask?
Simply to show that there are many unworthy models out there, so make sure to stick with the above suggestions when looking for the best portable table saw.
What we like about it
The only somewhat good thing about this saw is that it can be easily set up. That’s it, seriously. With this saw, shoddy quality takes center stage. It’s unstable, poorly made, too expensive for its own good and not at all portable.
Choosing the Best Portable Jobsite Table Saws – Buying Guide
Portable job site table saws can be a hefty investment. This is why you want to get it right from the first time. However, you can’t randomly pick any table saw. Your choice needs to be based on several factors if you want to buy a good.
If you go through this guide and the read our reviews, you should be able to easily pick the adequate job site table saw for your needs.
Know Your Needs
The first thing you need to ask yourself when you’re looking for a portable job site table saw is what will you need it for. Knowing your needs will help you narrow down your search and know what features to look for.
Now, there are some things that you’ll want to be present in the best portable table saw no matter your needs. First off, it needs to be reliable and steady. The last thing you want is your table saw failing you when you most need it. A wobbly stand can make the table saw useless, so make sure it’s as stable as it can be.
After you’ve got your needs all figured out, it’s time to address another very importable feature. It’s right there in the name of the tool, and that’s portability. This is the most important thing to consider when looking for any portable machine.
However, it’s not as easy as just getting the lightest table saw as there’s usually a compromise you need to make. Lightweight saws are generally not as steady as heavier ones. There are some exceptions of course, but if you know that you won’t be moving the table saw all the time, then weight and portability shouldn’t be your top priority, especially if it’s going to come at the expense of other features.
To give some reference, the lightest saw on this list is 67 pounds, but most other saws are at least 20 pounds heavier than that, so you’ll be looking at saws that weigh somewhere in between 90 and 100 pounds.
Another thing to look for is whether or not the table saw comes with wheels. This can be extremely helpful if your work environment has an even floor as you can move the saw around quite effortlessly.
Power is an essential factor to consider no matter which machine you’re getting.
While this is an easy choice to make for contractor table saws or hybrid table saws, portable saws are another story. Power usually comes at the price of portability, which is why you need to make a compromise between the two.
The majority of portable job site table saws have a 15-amp motor, which means that there isn’t much to consider in terms of power. However, more portable table saws usually have smaller engines. This does have an impact on how powerful they are.
If you’re concerned about the power, then you should always compare the table saw you’re considering with other table saws that are the same weight. This is the best way to tell which model is the most powerful. But power cannot be measured theoretically. There are a lot of factors that can influence the cutting power of a saw.
Durability is crucial for job site table saws as you want your saws to stand against the odds and unfavorable conditions that it might be put it. Seeing how working in your workshop is nowhere near the same as working in a job site, you need your saw to be able to handle any unfavorable conditions. In other words, you want it to be able to take a beating without breaking. Finding a reliable portable table saw can be tough at first, but here’s what you need to do.
You want to look for a saw that is made from high-quality materials and has good reviews. The reviews should indicate not only the overall performance of the saw but also if it’s durable or shoddily put together. Even if it might seem expensive at first, it’ll save you a lot of money in the long run. Don’t go for the cheap options. Remember, a portable job site table saw should stay with you for the rest of your career.
Safety should be your top priority when you’re working with any type of saw. This is even more important when it comes to portable job site table saws as there are a lot of variables to take into account. In order to stay safe when you’re working in unfavorable conditions, you want your saw to come with excellent safety features.
1. Blade GuardEvery tool we reviewed contained a clear blade guard–a safety feature that’s been accessible in the US for several decades. Some jobs demand that you simply remove the blade guard, and generally, you will need it remove it during transportation. In case the blade guard is not easy to set up, or needs tools to attach it to the splitter, it might be more suitable to leave it on the unit.
2. Anti-Kickback PawlsMost table saws have anti-kickback pawls – two serrated blades that drop down from riving knife or the blade guard. In case the wood is pushed back, the pawls will stop the wood from kicking back and hitting you digging into the wood. They must stay sharp and bite at the right angle.
3. Splitter (Riving Knife)A splitter is an anti-kickback feature that automatically separates the wood once it’s been cut to prevent binding. Check for a splitter with an adjustable kerf that’s able to handle different blades and materials.
4. Electric BrakeStops the blade fast following each cut, improving handling safety and speeding up the next cut and making sure the blade isn’t spinning after you are done.
5. Magnetic SwitchSafety feature stopping a table saw starting up automatically following a power outage / blown fuse. This prevents the work-piece from shooting back out of the saw, which is particularly important for any high-powered models that can potentially blow a fuse.
6. Convenient On/Off SwitchThe final safety feature you need to look out for in a table saw is a conveniently located on/off switch you could simply activate in a crisis.
7. Flesh SensorThis is another significant important safety measure. Flesh sensors stop the blade immediately when they sense a finger on the blade. So instead of a severed finger, you get away with minor cuts. I don’t know about you, but I choose minor cuts over missing fingers!
While portability comes at the price of accuracy, it doesn’t always have to be so bad. There are some portable saws that still manage to be decently accurate. If you want a precise portable table saw, look for one that has good fences. They will help you guide your cuts and stay accurate.
Accuracy is what separates the good from the best portable table saws. It was enough to get the Bosch 4100 to the second place and almost dethrone the DEWALT DWE7491RS if it weren’t for portability issues.
While portable job site table saws are pretty expensive, don’t be tempted by the cheaper models. Even the best value models are nowhere near as powerful as the pricier models. You should always prioritize your needs. There’s no skimping on this sort of tool.
If you’re going to be using this tool in a job site where conditions might not always be optimal, then you want a reliable table saw. You also want a portable one and can deliver precise cuts. You can’t find all of these things in a cheap model, unfortunately.
Picking the Best Portable Table Saw – Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Main Difference Between a Job Site Table Saw and a Benchtop Table Saw?
The main difference between the two types is that benchtop table saws don’t come with their own stands whereas a job site table saw includes its own stand. That the main thing you need to keep in mind
What’s the Optimal Table Saw the Weight I Should Go With?
You want to get a table saw that weighs around 90 or 100 pounds. While there are lighter saws that can be as light as 67 pounds, we find that the sweet spot is around 90 to 100 pounds.
What Safety Features Should I Always Look for in the Best Portable Table Saw?
There are three main things you need to have in the best portable job site table saw in terms of safety features. First off, the power switch has to be easily accessible. Secondly, there has to be some sort of kickback control built in the saw. And finally, a steady, sturdy stand. These are all crucial features to have.
Now that you’ve read through our portable table saw reviews and our buyer’s guide, then you should be able to choose the best portable table saw for your tool box. This is one of those tools that you need to do some research on before you get one and we hope we succeeded in providing you with what you’re looking for.